Happy Birthday to me!

Today is my birthday. I didn’t get to do much today (all of my b-day plans are taking place tomorrow), but I did get some fabulous gifts! There was a definite theme to this year’s bounty, and I bet you can’t guess what it was…JAMIE FRASER!! And gnomes! And the Civil War! I love it all!!

In addition to some yummy peanut butter brownie cookies, Bridget gave me Great Battles of the Civil War, a Fraser postcard, a Fraser bookmark (oh, how I adore bookmarks), a gnome, a mushroom, and two Scottish newsletters.

This recipe was in the Scottish Banner...and Im so confused by it! Has anyone out there ever had an Aberdeen Special?

Hubs gave me this coffee mug (I specifically requested it) and the Easter Lily.

And Carla sent me this wonderful Clan Fraser tea set and cookies (or should I say biscuits?), including some that are imported from Scotland! I was shocked when I opened this package, the china is so dainty and delicate and beautiful. They no longer make this pattern, so I feel very special. The detail is amazing…

All of these gifts combined were a happy ending to a not-so-happy week…I somehow managed to sprain my wrist at work and get stung by a wasp on two separate occasions in a matter of days. One of those times involved the wasp crawling up the inside of my pant leg and actually getting as high as my thigh before I realized there was a creature in my pants, at which time I started to freak out and Mr. Wasp started to sting me. (As a side note, I have a history of insects crawling up my pan tleg…last year at work, a spider with babies on it’s back decided to crawl into my pants and, well,  it was not pretty…) The second wasp attack occurred while I was innocently walking out my front door on my way to work. It got me on my forearm, which proceeded to swell to an almost 5 inch diameter…

Tomorrow we’re hitting up an old timey Prohibition-era speakeasy, as well as going to see “The Conspirator.” James McAvoy in a Civil War uniform…how will I contain myself?!! Thank you so much to Bridget, Carla and hubs (and to everyone else who gave me non-Scottish presents as well!) for the thoughtful gifts and for making me feel loved on my birthday :) You guys are awesome!

19 comments on “Happy Birthday to me!

1. ChristieH says:

Well, well, well… Happy Birthday! And this is something else you and I have in common (besides our love of JAMMF) – my birthday was Thursday on the 14th! How cool is that? I knew I liked you!

2. Bridget says:

So sad I can’t make it tonight but I’m glad you’re having a fun birthday (minus the wasp stings)! You deserve a good time! Y’all be careful tonight.

3. Carla says:

Your big day was lovely, I see…..aside from the wasp intervention! Happy after day!

Love the mushroom/toadstool with the spotted red cap. I hang a few glass ones each year on my Christmas tree and think of fairy rings.

Suddenly had a flash while ogling the “cute” gnome…..yes, I did write that. I remembered the Scandinavian “tomte” of several children’s books I’ve purchased. See this amazon.com selection: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+tomten&x=16&y=23 In Norway and Denmark, they’re known as “nisse” per the reader comment on your previous blog entry. See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomte.

Remember to drink tea in the Frazer family china while “reading” Diana’s next releases!

Have a FAB time in Nashville as you commence your newest year and share your evaluation of “The Conspirator” as I’ll be awaiting the DVD to watch it.

• I see you’re warming up to the gnome! I have not seen any of those books, but they look interesting.

I love the china! I need to get my hands on some Lord John Grey tea…how perfect would that be? ;)

Oh, and “The Conspirator” was good…a little slow, but good. And James McAvoy? Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhmazing.

• Carla says:

I thought about the LJG tea while handling the cookies, but, unfortunately, the thought came to me while I was packing the box…..too late, alas!

Glad to hear the film was “good.” Because Redford’s films tend toward the serious and didactic and because that seemed the case in the trailer, I’m prepared for a study in purpose. Nonetheless, McAvoy sure looked good in Union uniform in stills and in the trailer. I’ve always marveled how even the plainest man becomes handsome and more desirable in a uniform!

New Lincoln film from Spielberg in the works with Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln and Sally Fields (interesting/odd choice?) as Mary Lincoln…..based upon historian Doris Kearns Goodwin’s book “Team of Rivals.” See: http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1125-spielbergs-lincoln-film-picks-an-unusual-mary-todd-sally-field

Have you read this Kearns Goodwin book? If not, get cracking!

• I heard about this film a while ago and I’m very intrigued by the idea of Daniel Day-Lewis playing Lincoln! I can’t wait to see the physical transformation. (In contrast, I could not see Liam Neeson as Lincoln! I am glad he dropped out because he would have been a disaster.) I hadn’t heard about the casting of Sally Fields as Mary. It seems an odd choice at first, but I can actually see a resemblance. I hope Spielberg can deliver the goods on this one.

Team of Rivals has been on my TBR list for a while now, haven’t gotten to it yet, but it will defintely be read before I see the movie. Do you know when it’s slated to come out?

And yes, the old saying that women love men in uniforms rings very true for me as well ;) ESPECIALLY old military uniforms!

4. She says:

Happy Birthday! Seems like you got a ton of awesome loot! One of my friend was trying to get me to go see The Conspirator, but I just can’t do it. I love James McAvoy, but anything about Lincoln makes me want to die.

• Well, it’s indirectly about Lincoln…if you love James McAvoy then you must see it. He does a great job and looks even better ;) (In other words, the pain you would feel from the Lincoln-related story would totally be worth the view of McAvoy in his 1860’s garb…)

5. Marita says:

Happy Birthay!!! Gratulerer med dagen!! :-) Marita from Norway.

6. crytallblues says:

I’m so upset that I didn’t meet up with you yesterday. I can’t wait to hear all about the House; I hope you took pictures. Let’s go house touring soon!

7. Pam says:

Dearest, happy birthday also from me even if I’m in late a little bit ;)…. :))))))))))))
    You don’t know me, I found your blog some days ago while I was searching some Jamie Fraser pictures! ;) So I started to read your pages, and I’ve found out that we have more than the jamie fraser passion in common, so I decided to write you and what a better occasion than your birthday! So: HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYYYY! :)
    Ah… I’ve forgotten to introduce my self: my name is Pamela (Pam for friends… I hate my name) I’m 27 years old, and I’m writing to you from Parma’s countryside, Italy! :) I’ve recieved “the outlander” as a birthday gift from a friend of mine last year and I did fall in love with the story and the character of Jamie and now I’m trying to teach “the outlander” tale to all my friend! ;) Pissing them off sometimes!!! ;)))
    Nice to meet you, and sorry for my mistakes, I hope you understand everything! :)
    Best wishes
    Pam

• Hi Pam, it is nice to meet you too! I love meeting Outlander fans from all over the world, it’s truly one of my favorite aspects of blogging :) I have never been to Italy, but hope to make it there one of these days. I know exactly what it’s like to try to convert all of your friends into fellow Outlander fanatics…my efforts have proven effective for the most part. I have a few friends who were annoyed with my constant rambling (and horrendous Scottish accent), but they eventually gave in, read the book(s), and now send me Easter cards written in Gaelic! Success!! Really though, what’s not to love? ;)
      Thanks so much for stopping by and introducing yourself! And your English is great by the way, no problems understanding you at all :)
      Bri

8. Mirely says:

Hi! In regards to the Aberdeen Special: I’m Puerto Rican and this recipe is very familiar. In my culture it’s a natural remedy used to treat asthmatics and those suffering from other respiratory ailments. I found it refreshing to see it here. I’ve never heard it to be Scottish in origin but who knows!!! I wonder if Claire would have used it as a form of treatment… Hmmm. :-)