The rules for the Stylish Blogger Award:
- Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award
- Share things about yourself
- Award recently discovered great bloggers
- Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award
Thank you so much to Karen from Outlandish Observations for giving me the Stylish Blogger Award!! Yay! If you don’t know Karen, she is the Section Leader of Diana Gabaldon’s forum over at Compuserve and a very knowledgable Outlander devotee. Her website is gorgeous and incredibly informative for all things Outlander. I discovered Karen’s blog in the early summer of 2010 when my obsession with the series was reaching epic proportions. None of my friends had jumped on the bandwagon yet, nor had I tapped into the wonderful online community of Outlander fanatics. Luckily, I finally got the bright idea to start Googling “Jamie Fraser” and voila! Outlandish Observations!
Well, here are a few random tidbits about me…
1) I love gnomes. I have lots of them all around my house, but I do my best to keep them semi-hidden so as not to embarrass the hubs too much.
2) I love learning and reading about the Civil War and often research the time period in my free time. I love visiting historic sites, homes and battlefields.
3) While trying to decide what to do with a Biology degree, I contemplated Zookeeping and worked briefly at a zoo in the primate department. It was a great experience and I always had fabulously entertaining stories to tell, including this doozey…One of the apes had a crush on me (apparently he had never had a keeper with reddish hair and this was a novelty for him). He made eyes at me, sang to me everyday, and “displayed” (use your imagination on that one) every chance he got. It was all fun and games until one day- actually, it was my last day there- he escaped from his habitat and chased me through the zoo. I swear. One minute, I was leaning on the rail watching him serenade me, and the next minute, HE was ON THE RAIL, about 6 inches from my face!
Fortunately for the zoo, this happened early in the morning, before the park was open; but I wish someone had been there to catch it on video because, trust me, it must have been hilarious. I was wearing thigh-high waders that were at least 2 sizes too big (which translates to me not being able to run fast at all) and since gibbons have extremely long arms (and very short legs), they hold their arms up in the air when on the ground and thus cannot run very fast. Basically, the entire chase happened in slow motion (literally), not to mention the irony of the first employee/rescuer on the scene: a groundskeeper who was terrified of all animals. The ape ended up climbing to the top of a very tall tree and refused to come down for over an hour. Many futile attempts were made to lure him down with chocolates and candy bars, but eventually I was used as bait to get him back into his enclosure. It was very frightening at the time, but I’m pretty confident that he meant me no harm, and to this day I think it remains the craziest thing that has ever happened to me.
So now I must pass the award along to newly discovered (and stylish!) blogs…much like Karen, I wish I had more time to search for and follow more blogs, but here are two that I think are most worthy of an award!
The name says it all- it’s all about books! I stumbled upon this blog a few months ago and I really enjoy her clever reviews. We have similar literary tastes and I always look forward to the Wordless Wednesdays, when we get to see photos of her worldly travels. If you are in need of book ideas for future reads, check it out!
This blog is very new to me…I just discovered it today! (Thanks to Carla for bringing it to my attention!) I absolutely adore a good period film with a love story and beautiful costumes. This site has lists of just such movies (so many!), as well as posts about fashion (with gorgeous photos) and art. You will get lost in this blog and come out with 100 movies added to your Netflix queue. Check it out!